Sunday, January 31, 2021

Morning Musings

I got up at the usual time, when the coffeemaker announced the arrival of freshly brewed caffeine. It's 5:07 and I'm not sure how long I've actually been awake, tossing about in my bed, sleep interrupted by thoughts. I try to avoid looking at the time, it doesn't help. I haven't slept well for years. Experience tells me I will sleep better after 2-3 tough nights. My body can't take it anymore and I get something resembling a good nights rest. With a few exceptions, most of my peers are in the same boat. Hormonal fluctuations and an uncertain world are the main culprits. 

It would be easy to focus on the struggle and sometimes I do. Just as often, though, I try to find the humor and the gratitude in the beginning and ending of each day. My night owl daughter comes alive as I am winding down. I remember being more of a night owl when I was her age, so I try to be understanding but also ask for consideration. Last night she was talking to a fellow night owl and I was trying to sleep. Like most people, she seems to speak louder when on the phone. I sent her a text reminding her to share an email from her school counselor and to speak softly.

I think I slept fairly well once I actually got to sleep, though I was awake before there was coffee. When I got up this morning, my hair was hilarious. I often sleep on my side and my hair flattens at the sides of my head. Typically I wake up looking like Ricardo Montalban in the Wrath of Khan, or sometimes David Bowie in Labyrinth (this is exactly what I look like with foils in my hair getting highlights). This morning was a surprise and I looked like a character from the live action version of the Grinch. I actually chuckled at my reflection. Sorry, no pictures, I'm not a selfie person. Use your imagination, or Google.

Is he behind me?
After returning to bed, coffee in hand, I settled in to relax but Milo had other plans. He has learned how to open the bi-fold door on the linen closet in the hallway. He is currently working on mastering doorknobs and has scared the crap out of Abby in the middle of the night! At any rate, I had to get after the naughty cat a few times before he finally stopped. I tried the relaxation thing again but Poppy decided she needed a thorough bath with extra attention to a pawdicure. Is there anything more annoying than the sound of licking?

Eventually we reached an accord and I chose that time for meditation. It was the last day of the Mindful Morning Challenge on Insight Timer and I enjoyed the final teacher very much. Yesterday, I shared with my book club participants that I am a terrible meditater but I keep trying. The right guidance makes a difference and I was happy to discover a few teachers that resonated with me to add to my mornings. Reminding myself to appreciate life, even the annoying stuff, the tough stuff and the total bullshit isn't always easy. Finding humor and lessons in the daily workings is definitely worth it. Being able to laugh at yourself is a gift, even if it is just your hair!

No comments: