Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Cart Character

 

Today after teaching, I stopped at Costco. This is not my usual location but was sort of on the way between work and home. This particular Costco is near a number of retirement aka active adult communities and always seems to be busy. The positive is that I feel young and spry when I shop there (even with a severe hamstring strain & a birth date that allows me to live in one of these communities)  and the negative is that procuring a parking spot feels like a victory.
 
After canvassing the lot, I see a vehicle pulling out and flip my turn signal on to claim it. As the car pulled away and I moved forward to park, an older gentlemen stepped from between the cars on either side of the spot I was about to park in. Someone had wedged a shopping cart in the space and he grabbed it, theatrically shaking his head and obviously tsk, tsking.
 
I smiled, waved and mouthed, "thank you" amused with his dramatic portrayal of the hapless do-gooder.
When I returned and opened my car to put my purchases inside, I saw another car stop and turn their signal on to take my place. I moved as quickly as possible, returning my cart to the cart corral, getting in my car and vacating the space. Ironically, I stumbled upon this article The Shopping Cart Theory shortly after I got home.
 
I have seen this theory before. I find it amusing to consider moral character based on the observance of one act, and thought I would ask your opinion. Can you determine anything from the observation of a person that does or does not return their shopping cart? If so, how do you defend your theory? Let's keep it fun...and go!

No comments: