Saturday, March 3, 2018

Moon rise at Riparian Preserve
Thursday was a busy day for me, I had a to do list about a mile long but only enough time and stamina to make it half way. It was nearing days end and I had run to the library to return a couple of items. When I pulled into the parking lot I noticed the beautiful moon rise, against the back drop of the Riparian Preserve. I parked, dropped off my items, picked up another book and headed back to the car. I pulled around the building to face east and got out of the car to snap a few pictures (the photo doesn't do it justice) and take a moment of pause.
Life feels crazy sometimes and it is hard not to get sucked into the busy-ness of it. When I got back into my car, I noticed a woman in the vehicle next to me, head down, immersed in her phone. Rather than judging her, I know nothing more than what I observed, I took a moment to appreciate my ability to enjoy the beauty of nature. I have always loved nature and the connection I feel to the world around me. Being able to find beauty and connection nurtures my soul and gives me hope in a world that can sometimes feel hopeless. Because our survival instinct drives us to notice the negative, it is easy to get caught up in it, and forget how much good there is. Like my never ending to do list, there will always be more negativity to deal with. Sometimes hitting the pause button and letting go of all there is to do and all that is happening in the world allows us to shift our perspective and notice the good. This ability, and a good sense of humor, are two of my best coping skills. I am reminded of and try to embody this quote-  

Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.
KURT VONNEGUT, JR.

No comments: