Thursday, April 23, 2020

World Book Day!


I miss the library, it has always been a favorite place. I visited at least once a week to drop off or pick up a book or movie. The first time I visited a library, my sister Holly took me. I was probably four years old and couldn't believe I could choose and bring home any book. The cool tables and chairs just my size. The nice librarians who answered any question and showed you where to find things. It felt magical!
The library was a great escape for me. When things got hard at home, I would go to the library. When I couldn't physically escape, I would retreat into the pages of a book. Some kids cut school and went crazy together but I could be found curled up at the library reading. No one ever bothered me or asked why I wasn't in school.
I began taking my daughter to the library when she was just over a year old. There was story time with toys, reading, and singing. Even though there were the occasional looks from other mothers when my child grabbed a toy or crawled around instead of sitting quietly, we attended consistently. I did not yet know that parenting was a competitive sport and judging was harsh. Although it was hard to expose myself to that feeling, we still went. When we moved, one of the first things I did was find programming at the library.
Over the years, we have participated in multiple free programs at the Southwest Regional Library. From crafting and book clubs, to summer and winter reading programs. There is a small bookstore at the front of the library that is run by volunteers and sells used books, movies and periodicals. Many of the programs are funded in part by the sales from this bookstore Friends Place . I regularly buy and donate from this bookstore to contribute. I have several books waiting to be given to Friends when they re-open.
Long before there was a virus that would change the way we do things, I was disinfecting the books and movies I brought home. When I told people, I was met with either surprise or an exclamation of, "what a good idea"! Unsurprisingly, the children's books were particularly dirty and a disinfecting wipe did not harm them. I love the idea of leaving things as, or better than you found them. Another way I tried to do that was by allowing my daughter to choose only as many items as she was old. Since we went weekly, a few items were enough. She became more responsible and discerning as she got older and could choose more items. We never lost anything we borrowed because we knew exactly what we had.
So, the best news I've heard this week is that the library will be taking a page (see what I did there?) from restaurants that offer curbside pick-up, since dining in is not allowed. I have always got a few requests in my account and now I will be able to pick them them up when they are available. Even though I won't be inside, I will still get to go to the library. I am seriously almost crying tears of joy as I type this. Here's the info, happy reading!
#southeastregionallibrary #mcldsrl

No comments: