Wednesday, January 22, 2014

It Happens

I walk by this sign everyday when I walk my dogs and it has bothered me for a while for a couple of reasons.

1.) It is another example of providing an opportunity to do the right thing, making it easy but people still don’t use them! Three dog poop bag stations have been set up strategically around the perimeter of our neighborhood park. There was a huge dog waste problem and providing bags and trash receptacles seemed a good solution.
2.) The 3 step graphic on how to pick up dog poop annoys me. Do we really need a picture to show us how?
Lately, I have been rethinking my reaction to the waste stations and I have a new take on them-they provide us with a fantastic opportunity to simplify our lives, seriously.
Personally and professionally, I would rather be around people who do not assume dirty work is for someone else to do. I want to hang out and work with someone who doesn’t start shit but is not afraid to clean it up. Most importantly, someone who is smart enough to NOT need a pictorial to guide them in the problem-solving task of keeping their hands clean when they do the right thing without an audience or reward, just because it is the right thing to do and wrangle crap, literal or figurative.
Honestly, if HR departments started using dog waste management skills as a litmus test rather than asking where you see yourself in five years, we would have a better quality work force. Sadly, I see myself managing canine fecal waste for the foreseeable future but I’m willing to assume responsibility and handle things that are messy. Anyone hiring for that?

Saw this on Barkpost and thought it was interesting and relevant-
http://barkpost.com/study-who-dont-clean-up-after-dogs/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=barkbox
 

No comments: