Tuesday, November 19, 2019

It Takes a Village

It doesn't just take a village to raise a human child. I discovered exactly how much I rely on my village, when my fabulous dog sitter had to take a couple of days for her own family. Friday is currently my most ridiculous work day. I teach a class in the morning at Freestone, work a fitness center shift at MCC and teach two classes at Club Pilates. Last week I left my pug puppy, fed watered and with her kennel inside her exercise pen in the house for a couple of hours at the end of the day. Never mind the food, water, or toys, she used her mouth to gnaw the corner of her kennel.

All of my dogs have had their thing. I've had a digger, a sucker, a pee-er and now a chewer. She likes to live on the edge and explore the electrical cords (my wacky cat does too), luckily I'm there to catch her before she gets through the insulation. No book, shoe, rock, bush, animate or inanimate object is safe, she will chew anything and everything. I feel like a terrible Mom, as it seems like I am always saying, "no!" or "leave it".

I'm not sure what I was thinking getting a kitten and a puppy a week apart. Okay, I was thinking it's been a long time since I've had a puppy and I missed Brody. Abby has always wanted a cat. The house seems incredibly empty and a little sad when Abby isn't here. It turns out that Poppy was born the day I said goodbye to Brody and the coincidence was too much to ignore. I got a lot of support with the decision, encouragement and help so I decided to not always be practical.

Yes, I am stepping way outside of my comfort zone. Needless to say, I couldn't do Friday alone. I did try subbing my classes and shift out, which I hate to do because I don't get paid if I don't work. No matter, I wasn't successful with coverage for the first day.  So, I texted some friends and they came through big time. I had several offers of help and was so grateful not to have to worry (too much) about my little girl.

This coming Friday I was able to find a sub for my morning and evening classes, leaving just the middle of the day to cover. Another amazing friend is helping me out! I just shared this photo with her and she commented on how cute they are. I told her that they like to act sweet  in between trying to eat each other! Poppy can be a bully and uses her sturdy little self to mow the cat down and chew on him. She has even dragged him across the floor by the ear!  Milo has some serious ninja moves and does parkour. He's a bit more diabolical in his approach.  If the dog and I ever disappear, the cat did it!

In a month with a focus on giving thanks (if you can ignore the Christmas music and black Friday sales that now last all month) I have much and many to be thankful for. So to my family and friends, please know how much I appreciate each and everyone of you.

No comments: