Saturday, February 22, 2020

Part 3

The juggle is real. I drop the dog off for the day with the sitter and teach my first class. Head back to the house to meet the landlord to fix the shower. Try to clean and manage a few errands. Pick up the dog, then head out to teach again before coming home for the night. I really love my students and can't imagine not teaching but it is hard to earn a living in my industry. The fitness industry always revolves around sales in some way but teaching group classes has the least sales pressure in my experience. Personal trainers usually have to get their own clients and are often required to sell other products. Management in fitness is always about the bottom line, which makes sense but the way that is conveyed is often discouraging and the industry chews up and spits out many good teachers and trainers that want to make a difference. Burn out is common and turnover is high.
The world of education is changing and the current model is not as fluid as it needs to be to manage the changes. There are very few full-time positions in my discipline. If I'm being honest, there really aren't a lot of full-time positions. The vast majority of the classes at the community colleges are taught by adjuncts (more than 2/3 of courses) with the promise of possible full-time opportunity dangled like a carrot you can never quite reach.
In my years as an adjunct (20), I have applied for a half dozen opportunities, coming close about ten years ago. At the time, I would have had to put my daughter in full-time care and would have ended up making about $9.00 an hour. I really wanted the job but didn't feel it was worth allowing my child to be raised by strangers.
I hoped another opportunity would come at a better time. Since then, I have pursued additional training, volunteered, subbed and rarely missed a class. I have gotten a couple more interviews but never get an offer. I have been told to improve my interview skills, be myself and other pieces of advice I have tried to take in and appreciate and apply. I have had my resume crafted by a professional, and learned how to write a good cover letter.
I guess what I don't understand is why I'm still trying to prove myself to an organization that only wants me on their own terms? I like the people I work for and with, but the way the process works makes no sense to me. Why do those same people act like they don't know me and my history, work ethic, etc?
Same thing with my second long-term employer (5 years). I managed to get an interview for 1 of the four positions I applied for but knew I wasn't going to get it when the director ended with, "you're a great instructor". At least they handled it well with a personal phone call and encouragement to try again.
I have successfully managed in restaurant, retail and fitness environments but I can't seem to find full time employment. I guess I'll just keep juggling and enjoying doing what I love as much as possible but I can't help but wonder what I could do better? Is it time to take a risk and put all of my effort into making my side hustle (Pyramid Pilates) my main focus or do I resign myself to getting a "normal" job and teach a few classes/clients on the side?

No comments: