Sunday, February 12, 2023

LVII

I always know what Superbowl we are on because me & the Sup are the same age. This is useful in remembering Roman numerals! Seriously, I used to be a pretty avid watcher of football and loved playing the game as well. I can't say I am a fan because I have never really been a fanatic type of person. At the height of my football interest, I supported the Dolphins. I'm not sure why. Maybe my junior high school self liked the colors and the cute dolphin wearing a football helmet? When the Dolphins played the San Francisco 49ers in the 1985 Superbowl, I was the only one I knew rooting for the fish! I really wanted Marino to get a ring. As a Northern California native, I had seen several 9ers games at Candlestick Park. I would see several other teams at different stadiums over the years before determining that I prefer football on television. It's hard to see what is happening on the field and you end up watching the big screen replays as much as the actual plays. For me, the benefits of seeing a game in person do not outweigh the detriments, parking, loudness, cost and getting trapped trying to leave. I actually auditioned for Gold Rush, the 49ers cheeleaders, twice. The first time for the experience and the second time to support a friend that wanted the experience. That time I made it to the last cut and felt really good about it. I learned early on that I was never going to get any kind of linework. I am way too short and throw off any line so, not getting cut until the end was enough for me! After having a child and then pursuing a graduate degree, football was one of many things that moved to the back burner. Honestly, I rarely watched TV (would rather read) and that helped me focus on my studies and parenting. The television I did watch was Baby Einstein videos and PBS kids! I avoided commercial television to minimize the "I wants" that come from ads for toys, sugary cereals and general crap. My football interest turned to supporting my husbands team and making snacks for he and any friends during games. I love hosting a gathering, feeding people and making things nice. So, here we are, Superbowl LVII. I have a few friends that are Eagles fans but I'm not really invested in the outcome other than to support people I like. Still, I thought I would watch some of the game and downloaded Fox Sports on my TV because it was streaming free. Somehow I ended up with Fox Sports Espanol. So, I tried CBS Sports. English, Spanish, they were equally loud and annoying. I had the volume on my television all the way down and it was still too loud. It's the same at the movies. Is everyone losing their hearing? At any rate, I have been watching the scores and am not surprised to see that the Eagles are in the lead. All of the research I did pointed to them being the team to beat but it's too early to predict. I am looking forward to the half time show. Rihanna is one of my favorite artists and I feel certain she will give an amazing performance. Even though I am home alone with the pets, I decided to make myself a little game day food. I love La Brea Bakery French Dinner Rolls and used one to create a little slider. Turkey bacon, aged white cheddar, avocado, tomato, arugula and Dijon mustard. I also made some sweet potato fries (not pictured) and it was delicious! Game day has changed a lot over the years. From the company I keep to the food I eat but my interest in football has been rekindled. I miss throwing, catching, running.I have always been physically capable. Not the best but not the last to be chosen. The truth is, I do love sports but please don't call me a fan!

No comments: